THE MATURE HERB GARDEN'S BOUNTY

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Anticipating Spring

Well, Old Man Winter gave us a bit of a reprieve for a few weeks. But he has finally awakened and we here in MN are gripped in his grasp of snow and cold. This usually lends itself to nesting by the fireplace, fixing some hot chocolate, and dreaming of a time when we once again can get back to the out-of- doors. The garden industry knows how to capture our attention with glossy catalogs of the newest and best perennials, bulbs and vegetable garden seeds. I must admit to idling away a Sunday afternoon dreaming of what exotic vegetable to plant and how to add color to the garden. Invariably I am drawn to my library of garden books collected over the years to revisit classic garden design, English cottage garden design, and my favorite, herbal garden design.
On holiday I will frequently add to the itinerary a visit to one of these classic gardens. 
By far the most outstanding garden that I have visited is Chateau Villandry.  www.chateauvillandry.fr   I will share with you at this point just a few of the outstanding vistas in le chateau jardins. 






One of the techniques I employ when gardening is to keep a garden journal. When I visit gardens I record items that capture my interest. When planning a garden I draw my plot with plants listed in position in the plot. Another, helpful strategy is to list the plants names when you bring them home from the nursery or from your seed packets.

Below, is one of the beautiful coptic bound blank journals that you can find in my shop at :valburgesscollage.etsy.com
This journal has acid free paper which has been hand torn to give it a lovely natural decal style edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment